Table of Contents
In this incredible and very actionable, episode of The Lifestyle Architects, I'm excited to have Joe Pulizzi of Content Marketing Institute on the show, to talk more about the principles of Epic Content Marketing.
Joe Pulizzi is first and foremost a content marketing evangelist. He began using the term “content marketing” back in 2001. He’s the founder of the Content Marketing Institute (CMI), the leading content marketing educational resource for enterprise brands, recognized as the fastest growing business media company by Inc. magazine in 2013. CMI is responsible for producing Content Marketing World, the largest content marketing event in the world, as well as the leading content marketing magazine, Chief Content Officer. CMI also offers strategic consulting for enterprise brands such as AT&T, Petco, LinkedIn, SAP and many others.
Joe has written a new book, Epic Content Marketing as well as co-authored two other books, Get Content Get Customers and Managing Content Marketing. Joe has spoken at more than 300 locations and 12 countries advancing the practice of content marketing. He’s delivered keynote speeches for dozens of events and organizations including SXSW, BMA National, Oracle Eloqua, DuPont, SAP, HP and Dell.
Joe not only writes one of the most influential content marketing blogs in the world, he writes a column for Entrepreneur.com and is a LinkedIn Influencer. If you ever meet him in person, he’ll be wearing orange.
In this very actionable interview, Joe shares principles of epic content marketing, and how you can use content marketing to take your business and brand to the next level. This is a good one, so be sure to take a lot of notes!
Interview with Joe Pulizzi
(Click the play button and watch the video interview above)
In This Episode, You'll Learn:
- Joe's story and why he's so passionate about content marketing
- What is content marketing?
- The first steps to developing a solid content marketing strategy
- The basic steps for epic content marketing
- Creating your content marketing mission statement
- The importance of defining your content niche - niche down!
- How to promote your epic content on the web
- How to position yourself as an expert in your field through epic content marketing (to charge premium prices)
- How to build relationships with influencers in your niche, then build your audience
- Social media for content marketing
- Ways to measure the impact of your epic content marketing
- Joe's take on building your personal brand online
- How to re-purpose content the smart way
- Building your editorial calendar
- Managing the content creation process
- Different content types
- How Joe create multiple pieces of content from one speaking gig
- The two pieces of marketing people end up paying for
- Plus much, much, more...
Everything that you have as a business can be copied, expect through the way you communicate. - Don Schultz Click to tweet!
What Is Content Marketing?
Content Marketing is the strategic marketing approach of creating and distributing valuable, relevant and consistent content to attract and acquire a clearly defined audience - with the objective of driving profitable customer action.
The Principles Of Epic Content Marketing
Examples Of Epic Content Marketing In Action
Resources And Links Mentioned In This Episode:
Where To Find More About Joe And CMI
- Joe Pulizzi - Joe's personal site
- Epic Content Marketing - Joe’s awesome book on everything you need to know about epic content marketing.
- Content Marketing Institute (CMI) - Start by reading this getting started guide to Content Marketing
- Content Marketing World
- Chief Content Officer (CCO) - the quarterly print and digital magazine offered by the Content Marketing Institute.
- PNR: This Old Marketing – Joe’s new podcast with Robert Rose
- Get Content Get Customers and Managing Content Marketing
- Follow Joe on Twitter
- Connect with Content Marketing Institute on Facebook and Twitter
Other Relevant Resources Mentioned
- The Secrets to Positioning Yourself as an Expert to Charge Premium Prices with Nick Reese
- 37 Experts Share Their Best Personal Branding Tips For Entrepreneurs
- Entrepreneurs on Fire with John Lee Dumas
- Andy Crestodina - author of Content Chemistry and co-founder of Orbit Media (a Chicago-based web design agency)
- Google Alerts
- Google Adwords
- Marcus Sheridan of The Sales Lion
- Don Schultz
- Adele Revella - She's one of the leading experts on buyer personas.
- Tony Zambito - One of the leading authorities in buyer insights and buyer personas.
- Rand Fishkin from Moz.com - He has done a great job using Quora to position himself as a thought leader in his industry.
- Jay Baer of Convince & Convert - Jay has a very powerful agency behind him, so he's monetizing his brand into the agency.
- Brian Clark from Copyblogger.com - He's leveraging his personal brand into Copyblogger to sell more software services.
- Pat Flynn of Smart Passive Income
- Derek Halpern of Social Triggers
If you love listening to audio books, just like me, get your free audio book today, my gift to you for taking your time to watch and listen to this interview with Joe Pulizzi. My recommendation is to listen to the audiobook of Epic Content Marketing, it's great!
Content Marketing Tools - Editorial Calendars
- Google Spreadsheet
- WordPress Editorial Calendar - The Editorial Calendar makes it possible to see all your posts and drag and drop them to manage your blog.
- Kapost - Kapost is a content marketing software that helps marketers and content creation professionals organize their content marketing efforts into a structured business process. Unlike complicated project management tools, Kapost specializes in the ideation, production, distribution & analysis of content marketing activities so brands can deliver relevant content to their audience which helps build trust and revenue.
- DivvHQ - DivvyHQ is a cloud-based, content planning and production workflow tool built to help marketers and content producers get/stay organized and successfully execute demanding, complicated and content-centric marketing initiatives. Divvy’s unique functionality combines web-based calendars, content management and online collaboration to help global content teams capture content ideas, assign and schedule content projects, produce any type of content and stay on top of production deadlines.
- AtTask - AtTask Enterprise Work Management solves the failures of traditional project management software. All of them have really good built in editorial tools for content and they don’t cost you an arm and a leg.
The most important thing with that editorial calendar, is just to get one! Click to tweet!
Now It’s Your Turn!
Got questions or thoughts about anything you learned in this interview? Do you have a clear content marketing strategy in place? Please share freely in the comments section below!
If you enjoy this episode, or know someone who might, please feel free to share it with them!
Thanks so much for checking out this interview with Joe Pulizzi on Epic Content Marketing, I appreciate YOU!